List of rights
My right to Life
- My right to Life (Introduction)
- Can I abort?
- What are criminal offences punishable by death in Nigeria?
- I suspected someone is using witchcraft power against me and also after my life in the dream. Can I kill him/her?
- Can a child under 17 years who committed offence punishable by death by killed?
- She is sentenced to death but pregnant. What happens to her baby?
- Is Euthanasia or mercy killing allowed in Nigeria?
- Someone told me that I can kill under Self defence. Is it true?
- At what stage can police use ‘force’ or kill when effecting a LAWFUL arrest?
- Can a Police or Army Officer obey unlawful order of Superior officer to kill in order to suppress riot?
My right to Personal Liberty
- My right to Personal Liberty (Introduction)
- What remedies do I have against unlawful arrest or detention?
- My right to bail
- What you need to know when directed by the police to write a statement
- Rights of an accused person at the Police station/My rights after arrest
- Can a private person or group of people arrest, kill or discipline a suspect (Jungle Justice)?
- Can I be locked anywhere after arrest?
- Must there be use of force/handcuffed and warrant of arrest before arrest can be effected?
- Who can carry out Arrest?
My right to fair hearing
- My right to fair hearing (Introduction)
- Another trial on the same criminal offence I have been convicted/acquitted/ or granted Pardon. Help me!
- They are prosecuting me now over a last year matter on the ground that it has now become an offence this year
- They set up a panel for me at work/office. Do I deserve fair hearing?
- All I need to know when I am facing trial-Tribunal-Administrative Panel
My right to privacy
- My right to privacy (Introduction)
- Right to privacy of communications
- Child rights: Parental rights and Custody of child/Discipline of child in Nigeria
- Is abortion not related to issue of privacy?
- My neighbour lied to the police and my house was searched but nothing was found. Can I challenge it?
- Why are police searching vehicles/things and mounting roadblocks?
- Can my house/home be searched in my absence?
- Can my house/premises be searched, and on what grounds?
- During search, my expensive phones, wristwatch, gold jewelries were collected but not released after confirming my innocence.
- Can a policeMAN search my wife’s body?
- Stop and Search: is that not a violation to the privacy of the person?
My right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion
- My right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion (Introduction)
- Since I have right to freedom of thought, religion and belief, why can’t I be a member of a secret society?
- Can churches/mosques propagate religions by establishing schools?
- Can I manifest and propagate my religion?
- Do I have the right to change my religion or belief?
- My freedom of religion
- What is freedom of thought and conscience?
Freedom of expression and the press
- Freedom of Expression and the press (Introduction)
- Are there limitations to freedom of expression and the press
- Can the populace be denying of receiving information from some media organizations?
- Right of the press to impart information gathered to members of the public
- Can I be compelled to disclose my information source as a journalist?
- Press is freedom is not expressly mentioned under section 39 of the 1999 constitution. Are we journalist covered under Freedom of Expression?
- Freedom to own and establish a press: Radio, Television
My right to assemble peacefully and associate
- My right to assemble peacefully and associate (Introduction)
- As a member of armed forces/police. Does the constitution permit me to be members of trade union?
- Does freedom of Assembly and association covers forming and joining trade unions?
- Does freedom of Assembly and association covers forming Political Parties?
- Which assembly is unlawful in Nigeria?
- Must I join local community, trading associations?
- Since it is my right to associate, can I flee from a marriage where my life is in danger?
- Does my right to associate covers my right to choice of school?
- Can I carry out a peaceful protest?
My right to freedom of movement
- Can I be refused exit from Nigeria
- When can my passport be withdrawn?
- I am going to ECOWAS Countries. I learnt that I don’t need visas. Any useful information?
- On what grounds can my international passport be seized?
- Who can be extradited and what are the procedures?
- Under what grounds an Immigrant can be refused entry or deported from Nigeria?
- My right to freedom of movement (Introduction)
- I am coming home (Nigeria) Can I be refused entry into Nigeria?
- My right not to be expelled from Nigeria
- My right as a Nigerian to reside in any part of Nigeria
- Driving offences and penalties in Nigeria
- My right as a Nigerian to move freely across Nigeria
My right to freedom from discrimination
- My right to freedom from discrimination (Introduction)
- Can I be discriminated upon by virtue of my sex, community, ethnic group, or place of origin?
- What are the rights of women on cultural, traditional, inheritance, burial issues among others?
- Is discrimination permitted because of my religion?
- Can I be discriminated upon because of my political opinion?
- Am I not protected against discrimination as a child born out of wedlock and what about the Osu caste?
My right to property
- My right to property (Introduction)
- Someone wants to sell community/family land to me. What do I need to know?
- Can my right of occupancy be LAWFULLY revoked?
- Can I get my property back if my right of occupancy is revoked by a Governor for his own benefit or that of his/her family members/ associates and on what other grounds can I challenge illegality?
- My land is containing minerals, oils, natural gas and the government wants to take over my land. Help!
- Guide: I want to buy a property; five documents the property must have
- What are my rights as a tenant in Nigeria?
- What are my rights as a landlord in Nigeria?
Women, Girls and Children Rights
- Wife Battering/Torture
- Marrying or giving an under-age girl into marriage (Early/ Forced Marriage)
- Raping a woman or girl
- Child Defilement
- Committing incest with a woman or girl-child
- Sexually harassing a woman or girl
- Sexually exploiting or enslaving a woman or girl
- Sexually abusing a woman or girl (Slavery or trafficking)
- Exposing a woman or girl to forced labour
- Child Labour
- Sexual abuse and exploitation of a child
- Corporal/hard punishment of children
- Female Genital Mutilation & other harmful traditional practices
- Harmful Widowhood practices
- Chat Lawyers
- Support Services for Women, Girls and Children